Monday, August 25, 2008

What a Butterfly means to me... August 18, 2008






















Inspiration...True Friendship...Honesty...Hope...Love





Most who know me know why my daughter is named Emily. A dear friend of mine passed away several years ago. Her name was Emily Harrison. It's too hard to go as far back as the beginning of our friendship and most wouldn't be able to grasp it all, but she is my butterfly. Everytime I see one I am reminded of our friendship and the innocence that she posessed. We released butterflies at her funeral and a few times after to celebrate her life. She touched so many who knew her. She was involved in an accident in middle school which left her with a brain injury. That didn't stop our friendship. We graduated together and went on to live together for almost two years towards the end of college. She was a maid of honor in a my wedding and a best friend. I only hope my Emily will have some of her character traits. This butterfly was on our front door for several hours one day. I knew that was her little "wink" saying hello and that she missed me. I sure do miss her. I wish my Emily could meet her. It's strange, but sometimes she will do things that remind me of Emily Harrison and they have never met. Maybe they talk in her dreams.

2 comments:

Misti said...

That is so sweet...I do believe that she was coming to visit you and saying "hello"! It is so comforting to know that, even though they are not physically here with us anymore, our loved ones STILL have a way of letting us know they are around....

Carole said...

What an amazing happening--for "Miss Emily" to stay so long with you and the children. The pictures of Emily Caroline and Parker looking at the butterfly are precious and meaningful as well.

I'm like you--everytime I see a butterfly, I say, "There's Emily."

Thank you, Sarah, for being such a true friend to our Emily. I love you as if you were my own daughter.

Carole Harrison