Monday, September 29, 2008

Remembering my dear sweet friend, Emily Carole Harrison


Seven years ago today I was in the desolate halls of a hospital in Connecticut. I remember every moment of that day and the days before it. I can still remember so much of it like it was yesterday. My dear, sweet friend, Emily, went to be with Jesus. I can't really explain how I was able to handle it the way I did except that the Lord guided me through step by step minute by minute. I couldn't believe I had lost another roommate. You see, I lost another best friend, Cheryl Tweedy, just a few years before. We lived together in college before Emily and I lived together. We all went to school together growing up. I remember wondering how God could take two of the most special people in my life away from me. Why did He allow me to become so close to someone He knew would not grow old with me. That's just it. Those years of being friends are part of who I am today. They helped shape my character and their deaths only made me a stronger person. I only know and believe it is part of His plan.
Today I must celebrate her life because she would want it that way. She would pat me on the back and say, "Don't cry. I'm with the angels." She had such a sweet spirit and loving way about her. I miss her giggles and small sweet hugs. I miss our talks, watching Friends, and eating chocolate. It's so difficult on these days not to be selfish and want her back. I dream about her a lot and wake up hoping she'll be coming over.

I wish she could meet my children more than anything. There was a gentleness about her that children loved. I know Emily Caroline would enjoy reading books with her, and I'm sure Parker would make her throw a ball with him. I'm thankful that David, my husband, knew her. It's easier to understand the loss when you know the person. He knew how special she was to me and why we had to name our daughter after her. We miss you, Emily.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

What a great tribute to your friend!!
Sounds like a great relationship.
And how special that you named your first born after her.
I know Emily's mother must love watching EC growing up so big!
Sweet memories!
:-)